Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/5] t9350: properly count annotated tags

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2025 09:14:27 +0200

On Tue, Oct 07, 2025 at 02:29:56PM +0200, Christian Couder wrote:
> In t9350-fast-export.sh, these existing tests:
> 
>   - 'fast-export | fast-import when main is tagged'
>   - 'cope with tagger-less tags'
> 
> are checking the number of annotated tags in the test repo by comparing
> it with some hardcoded values.
> 
> This could be an issue if some new tests that have some prerequisites
> add new annotated tags to the repo before these existing tests. When
> the prerequisites would be satisfied, the number of annotated tags
> would be different from when some prerequisites would not be satisfied.
> 
> As we are going to add new tests that add new annotated tags in a
> following commit, let's properly count the number of annotated tag in
> the repo by incrementing a counter each time a new annotated tag is
> added, and then by comparing the number of annotated tags to the value
> of the counter when checking the number of annotated tags.

Hm, okay. I think having tests interdepend on one another is bad test
design in the first place, but it's not a new problem you create. An
alternative solution could of course be to change the new test so that
it works in a standalone repository, or to add it towards the end of the
test suite.

Have you considered these alternatives?

Patrick