Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/6] ci: improvements to our Rust infrastructure

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2025 14:04:10 +0200

On Wed, Oct 08, 2025 at 08:27:11AM +0200, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> this small patch series introduces some improvements for our Rust
> infrastructure. Most importantly, it introduces a couple of static
> analysis checks to verify consistent formatting, use Clippy for linting
> and to verify our minimum supported Rust version.
> 
> Furthermore, this series also introduces support for building with Rust
> enabled on Windows.
> 
> The series is built on top of 45547b60ac (Merge branch 'master' of
> https://github.com/j6t/gitk, 2025-10-05) with ps/rust-balloon at
> e425c40aa0 (ci: enable Rust for breaking-changes jobs, 2025-10-02) and
> ps/gitlab-ci-windows-improvements at 3c4925c3f5 (t8020: fix test failure
> due to indeterministic tag sorting, 2025-10-02) merged into it.
> 
> Changes in v2:
>   - Adjust comments for `encode_varint()` and `decode_varint()` based on
>     brian's feedback.
>   - Some small improvements to commit messages.
>   - Not changed is the default column limit used by Rust. I think using
>     the column limit of 100 used by the Rust ecosystem is sensible, but
>     if there is a majority advocating for a limit of 80 I'll adapt this.
>   - Link to v1: https://lore.kernel.org/r/[email-masked]

Sorry, I noticed that threading is broken here. An update of b4 made me
lose my custom patches that implement shallow threading by accident. The
next version will connect back to the original thread again.

Patrick