Subject: Re: When should we release Git 3.0?

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2025 17:44:56 -0400

On Wed, Oct 01, 2025 at 03:31:54PM -0400, [email-masked] wrote:
> On October 1, 2025 12:05 PM, Taylor Blau wrote:
> >On Wed, Oct 01, 2025 at 08:13:12AM +0100, Luca Milanesio wrote:
> >> I am worried that if we rush into Git 3.0 with breaking changes that
> >> would make other “forges” (e.g. JGit) incompatible, we would be in a
> >> difficult situation with the other Git ecosystem that isn’t based on
> >> the C-Git implementation.
> >
> >That's a good point. I am not familiar enough with JGit (or really any non-standard
> >Git implementations) to know where SHA-256 support is in those respective
> >implementations.
>
> AFAIK, JGit still depends on some core git functions, including gc. It
> also depends on LFS for those functions. Interop it fairly important
> in that space.

What are "core git functions" here? I'm not at all familiar with JGit,
but my understanding is that it doesn't use the Git binary directly
whatsoever, so I am not sure how the presence of interop support or not
would affect JGit or LFS.

Thanks,
Taylor