Subject: Re: [rfc] flip rerere.enabled default to be "on" at Git 3.0 boundary?

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2025 15:45:32 -0400

On Tue, Oct 21, 2025 at 11:21:46AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> A good default matters, and people who find out how useful a rerere
> database is would say "gee, that sounds great but why they do not
> enable it by default?  It is too buggy and they wanted to reduce the
> number of support requests?"  Yes, the reason it is not enabled by
> default initially was exactly that, i.e. those opt into the feature
> was used as guinea pigs to polish the feature.  But we forgot to set
> the graduation criteria and never said "ok it is mature enough, so
> let's turn it on for everybody".
>
> Perhaps Git 3.0 boundary is a good occasion to do so?

Perhaps, but I wonder if waiting until Git 3.0 is necessary. I use the
rerere cache daily and have for years, so I consider this battle-tested
at least in my own workflow.

I'm not saying we should *necessarily* do this, but I wonder for
argument's sake: what would prevent us from changing the default for
2.52?

Thanks,
Taylor