Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 00/14] refs: improvements and fixes for peeling tags

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2025 07:12:51 +0200

On Thu, Oct 23, 2025 at 04:06:01PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:
> > I'm not particularly fond of the patches 11 to 13. It feels more like
> > playing whack-a-mole, and I very much assume that there still are edge
> > cases where we should properly verify the tagged object type. But
> > changing it in `parse_tag_buffer()` itself causes a bunch of tests to
> > fail where we intentionally create such corrupted tags. So I didn't
> > really dare to touch that part, to be honest.
> >
> > If anybody has suggestions for an alternative approach I'd be very open
> > to it.
> 
> Are you still ;-), or are we ready to declare victory for now and
> mark the topic for 'next'?  It seems that another topic depends on
> this and the topic itself is a good shape enough to advance.

Yes and no. I still think that this is playing whack-a-mole, and I'm not
particularly happy about that. But nobody else had a better suggestion,
and I don't see any downside with merging the current approach. So let's
merge it down.

Thanks!

Patrick