Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/9] pack-bitmap: handle name-hash lookups in incremental bitmaps

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2025 21:55:03 -0500

On Wed, Nov 12, 2025 at 03:01:51AM -0500, Jeff King wrote:
> As always with the midx and bitmap code, I am left unsure of which
> ordering it is correct to use (pseudo-pack order, or lexical oid order,
> or how each splits across incremental files). I _think_ this is right
> because it's matching the ordering that is already used for a single
> midx. But clearly this area is under-tested, since even when we did not
> go off the end of the array we were probably passing back junk
> name-hashes (either from the .bitmap file's trailing checksum, or
> zero-padding at the end of the mapped page).

Yeah, this is the right order. "index_pos" is a good hint that this is
in lexical order. bitmap_writer_finish() has some oid_pos() lookups that
use index directly without sorting, so bitmap_writer_finish() expects
this array in lexical order.

Commit c528e17966 (pack-bitmap: write multi-pack bitmaps, 2021-08-31)
has a comment in (what is now) midx-write.c explaining this assumption
in bitmap_writer_finish(), but it should probably be documented
explicitly in pack-bitmap.h.

> So it might be worth adding more tests here, but I know this incremental
> bitmap code is a big work in progress. So I contented myself with the
> reproduction above, and anything else can go onto the incremental todo
> pile. :)

Yeah, I agree. The only hash-cache test that I could think of is from
t5326, which tests that we can propagate existing name-hash values from
a pack bitmap in to a MIDX one. We probably need an equivalent for when
writing an incremental MIDX/bitmap too. #leftoverbits

>  pack-bitmap.c | 27 +++++++++++++++++++++++----
>  1 file changed, 23 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)
>
> diff --git a/pack-bitmap.c b/pack-bitmap.c
> index 291e1a9cf4..710b86a451 100644
> --- a/pack-bitmap.c
> +++ b/pack-bitmap.c
> @@ -213,6 +213,26 @@ static uint32_t bitmap_num_objects(struct bitmap_index *index)
>  	return index->pack->num_objects;
>  }
>
> +static uint32_t bitmap_name_hash(struct bitmap_index *index, uint32_t pos)
> +{
> +	if (bitmap_is_midx(index)) {
> +		while (index && pos < index->midx->num_objects_in_base)
> +			index = index->base;

Looks good. It's too bad that we have to reimplement something very
similar to midx_for_object(), but I agree with what you wrote in the
patch message and this faithfully captures that. It might be worth doing
something like:

    while (index && pos < index->midx->num_objects_in_base) {
        ASSERT(bitmap_is_midx(index));
        index = index->base;
    }

, which should never trigger, but is a good sanity check. Definitely not
worth re-rolling IMHO.

> +
> +		if (!index)
> +			BUG("NULL base bitmap for object position: %"PRIu32, pos);
> +
> +		pos -= index->midx->num_objects_in_base;
> +		if (pos >= index->midx->num_objects)
> +			BUG("out-of-bounds midx bitmap object at %"PRIu32, pos);

midx_for_object() spells this portion slightly differently, but what you
have here is still good.

> +	}
> +
> +	if (!index->hashes)
> +		return 0;
> +
> +	return get_be32(index->hashes + pos);

We *could* double check that that offset is within bounds of
index->map_size, and I think that is ultimately worth doing at some
point. But I think that stopping where you did makes sense, since it
does the minimal thing to fix this bug.

Thanks,
Taylor