Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/9] asan bonanza

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2025 22:17:28 -0500

On Wed, Nov 12, 2025 at 02:55:22AM -0500, Jeff King wrote:
>   [1/9]: compat/mmap: mark unused argument in git_munmap()
>   [2/9]: pack-bitmap: handle name-hash lookups in incremental bitmaps
>   [3/9]: Makefile: turn on NO_MMAP when building with ASan
>   [4/9]: cache-tree: avoid strtol() on non-string buffer
>   [5/9]: fsck: assert newline presence in fsck_ident()
>   [6/9]: fsck: avoid strcspn() in fsck_ident()
>   [7/9]: fsck: remove redundant date timestamp check
>   [8/9]: fsck: avoid parse_timestamp() on buffer that isn't NUL-terminated
>   [9/9]: t: enable ASan's strict_string_checks option

Naturally I focused on the first two patches more than the others, but
the rest look good to me. I left one minor comment that you might
consider if you end up re-rolling, but I don't feel strongly about it.

I like Patrick's suggestion to use an interface similar to
git_parse_int() instead of introducing parse_long() as a strtol()
replacement. That may be worth a re-roll, especially because there are
two spots that would benefit from that style of interface. But I don't
feel strongly about it either way.

Like I mentioned earlier, I mostly glossed over the fsck patches, but
they all look reasonable to me.

Thanks,
Taylor