Subject: Possible German translation bug

From: "brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2025 23:28:05 +0000

We have the following string in Git, which is translated as follows in
Spanish, French, and German:

----
% git rev-parse --verify nonexistent
fatal: Needed a single revision
% LC_ALL=es_MX.UTF-8 git rev-parse --verify nonexistent
fatal: Se necesitó una revisión singular
% LC_ALL=fr_CA.UTF-8 git rev-parse --verify nonexistent
fatal : Une seule révision attendue
% LC_ALL=de_DE.UTF-8 git rev-parse --verify nonexistent
Schwerwiegend: Benötigte einen einzelnen Commit
----

In Spanish and French, we use the translation of the word "revision"
because `git rev-parse --verify` can permit referring to an object of
any type: blob, tree, commit, or tag.  For instance, this is a blob:

----
% git rev-parse --verify v2.0.0:strbuf.c
ee96dcfb816625436582833d812a7156513d5d39
----

But in German, we use the noun "Commit".  I admit my German is not very
good[0] and my technical German is effectively nonexistent, but I
presume "Commit" means "commit" and if so, that's simply not accurate in
this case.

It looks like in other places in the translation we use "Revisionsgang"
for "revision walk" and "Revisionsliste" for "revision list", so maybe
"Revision" is a possible option here, but that would be better decided
by someone with a much better command of German than I have.  Of course,
I could be wrong altogether, in which case please accept my apologies
for the noise.

[0] I do hope to improve it in the new year, though.
-- 
brian m. carlson (they/them)
Toronto, Ontario, CA