Subject: Re: Would it make sense to add a commit.signOff config?

From: Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belón <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2025 08:44:24 -0800

On Sun, Dec 14, 2025 at 05:10:19PM -0800, Stefan Haller wrote:
> I find it interesting that of all the git commands that take a --signoff
> argument, format-patch is the only one that has a corresponding config
> to turn it on for all invocations. I would have thought that git commit
> needs this even more; I find it reasonable for users to decide that they
> want to add a Signed-off-by trailer to all the commits they make.
> 
> But then, what about merge, cherry-pick, and revert? Does it make sense
> to turn it on globally for those as well?
> 
> The background of this question is lazygit, which has a config for
> enabling --signoff for all commits made by it. We recently had a feature
> request to extend the meaning of that config to revert as well, and the
> discussion came up whether that's a good idea, and if so, whether it
> should also extend to cherry-pick and merge.
> 
> Any opinions about this?

this was discussed recently[0] and the point that was made is that SOA are
meant to be relevant mainly in open source contexts and should be explicitly
given.

Carlo

[0] https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/