Subject: Re: [PATCH 02/17] midx: split `get_midx_checksum()` by adding `get_midx_hash()`

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2025 20:50:08 -0500

On Mon, Dec 08, 2025 at 08:42:23PM -0500, Taylor Blau wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 08, 2025 at 07:25:05PM +0100, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> > If I didn't have the context of this patch series I would be wondering
> > what the actual difference between `get_midx_checksum()` and
> > `get_midx_hash()` is. The way the functions are named seems to rather
> > indicate that we talk about two different kinds of hashes, rather than
> > two different ways to encode them.
> >
> > Would it maybe be preferable to call them `get_midx_checksum()` and
> > `get_midx_checksum_hex()`? While at it, we could go even further and
> > rename them to `midx_get_checksum()` and `midx_get_checksum_hex()` to
> > conform to our modern best practices.
>
> Yeah, I think those are both reasonable suggestions; I'll apply those
> locally, thanks!

Hmm. Upon further thinking, I wonder which function should be named
which.

I think the _checksum() variant suggests that it returns the non-hex
encoded form, while the _hex() variant suggests the opposite.
Unfortunately, the latter is both more commonly used and more characters
to type ;-).

I wonder if there are shorter names available. Perhaps
midx_get_checksum() and midx_get_checksum_raw()?

Thanks,
Taylor