Subject: Re: [PATCH 13/17] midx-write.c: enumerate `pack_int_id` values directly

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2025 21:14:43 -0500

On Mon, Dec 08, 2025 at 07:27:08PM +0100, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 06, 2025 at 03:31:37PM -0500, Taylor Blau wrote:
> > Our `midx-write.c::fill_packs_from_midx()` function currently enumerates
> > the range [0, m->num_packs), and then shifts its index variable up by
> > `m->num_packs_in_base` to produce a valid `pack_int_id`.
> >
> > Instead, directly enumerate the range:
> >
> >     [m->num_packs_in_base, m->num_packs_in_base + m->num_packs)
> >
> > , which are the original pack_int_ids themselves as opposed to the
> > indexes of those packs relative to the MIDX layer they are contained
> > within.
>
> Sensible. I was confused a bit by the previous change because I couldn't
> quite spot the shift happening. I think this makes things a bit easier
> to read.

I'm glad that the end result was more pleasing. I have gone back and
forth whether to enumerate [0, m->num_packs) and shift, or to enumerate
the pack_int_ids directly, so it's helpful to know what style others
prefer.

Thanks,
Taylor