Subject: Re: Git MSI Download Alternative

From: "brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2025 01:26:19 +0000

On 2025-12-28 at 20:40:10, Terrence | Wolf1098 wrote:
> Is it possible to get an MSI(x) install of github so that it can be installed via provisioning, or gpo rules in ad?

First, the Git project doesn't distribute any binaries, only source
code.  I must admit that I'm not very familiar with Windows, but I
believe an MSI is a Microsoft Installer package that is used on Windows,
but please correct me if I'm incorrect.

If what you want is a _Git_ MSI, then usually Windows packages are built
by the Git for Windows project and you can reach out to them at their
issue tracker at https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/issues.  Please
be sure to search first before asking, since the maintainer is busy.

If you're looking for a _GitHub Desktop_ MSI, then it appears there's
already one at https://github.com/desktop/desktop/releases.  Note that
GitHub is one of many forges that use Git, and while GitHub Desktop may
ship with Git (I don't recall whether it does or not), it is not the
only Git interface or forge that supports Git.  It's helpful not to
confuse the two, especially since we try in the Git project not to
prioritize any particular forge.

If I've guessed incorrectly, please do accept my apologies and feel free
to clarify what you're asking.  Perhaps someone else can chime in with a
helpful thought.  Also, please remember that many people are on vacation
the last few weeks of the year (and part of the beginning of next year),
so it may take time to get the response you're hoping for.  I myself am
out of town on vacation at the moment, for instance.
-- 
brian m. carlson (they/them)
Toronto, Ontario, CA