Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Jan 2026, #09)

From: "brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2026 23:25:35 +0000

On 2026-01-29 at 22:51:40, Eric Sunshine wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2026 at 5:01 PM brian m. carlson
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > I did not get a Windows VM working but I did discover the problem and
> > I'm working on a patch and will send it out once I have CI green.
> >
> > The problem is roughly that both the MSVC linker and MSYS linker are
> > both called link.exe.  When compiling with Rust against MSVC, the MSVC
> > linker must be used, but the MSYS linker is first in PATH (because I
> > believe installing the Git for Windows SDK causes that to be the case),
> > causing build.rs to fail to compile.
> 
> Didn't Ezekiel already tackle[*] this problem or am I misunderstanding?

CI still fails when rebasing my branch on `master`, so it doesn't appear
to have made it upstream quite yet.  I'll resume working on this
tomorrow at $DAYJOB and then add a patch to my series.  I may steal the
approach from Ezekiel's patch if it appears to work.
-- 
brian m. carlson (they/them)
Toronto, Ontario, CA