Subject: Re: [RFC] Introducing AI Agents to Git Localization

From: Michal Suchánek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2026 14:00:21 +0100

On Wed, Feb 04, 2026 at 12:58:05PM +0100, Peter Krefting wrote:
> 2026-02-04 10:31 skrev Jiang Xin:
> 
> > Please try using AI coding tools to update translations in po/XX.po or
> > review historical translations, following the prompts below:
> 
> No.
> 
> Please disable this altogether for the Swedish localization. "Translation"
> using stochastic parrots is not mature and just creates gibberish that takes
> more time to clean up than to do the translation from scratch manually.

Hello,

a similar attempt was widely reported, eg. here:
https://linuxiac.com/ai-controversy-forces-end-of-mozilla-japanese-sumo-community/

As pointed out the availiability of the tools is not necessarily a
problem in itself. The problem in that particular case was that Mozilla
automatically applied the tools to existing translations, even
well-maintained ones.

Abandoned or completely missing translations may benefit from AI
translation when the topic is general enough that there is likely a lot
of training data available. Unfortunately, git with its specific jargon
may not be the most optimal project for automated translation.

When the generated change needs to be sent to a maintainer for review
having gibberish translation would be theoretically avoided. There is
the caveat that maintainers might receive more gibberish submissions
when the tools are available.

Thanks

Michal