Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 4/4] refs: add GIT_REFERENCE_BACKEND to specify reference backend

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2026 15:33:45 +0100

On Mon, Feb 02, 2026 at 01:26:33PM +0100, Karthik Nayak wrote:
> Git allows setting a different object directory via
> 'GIT_OBJECT_DIRECTORY', but provides no equivalent for references. In
> the previous commit we extended the 'extensions.refStorage' config to
> also support an URI input for reference backend with location.
> 
> Let's also add a new environment variable 'GIT_REFERENCE_BACKEND' that
> takes in the same input as the config variable. Having an environment
> variable allows us to modify the reference backend and location on the
> fly for individual git commands.

s/git/Git/

> diff --git a/Documentation/git.adoc b/Documentation/git.adoc
> index ce099e78b8..ed3191e8f6 100644
> --- a/Documentation/git.adoc
> +++ b/Documentation/git.adoc
> @@ -584,6 +584,11 @@ double-quotes and respecting backslash escapes. E.g., the value
>  	repositories will be set to this value. The default is "files".
>  	See `--ref-format` in linkgit:git-init[1].
>  
> +`GIT_REFERENCE_BACKEND`::
> +    Specify which reference backend to be used along with its URI.
> +    See `extensions.refStorage` option in linkgit:git-config[1] for more
> +    description. Overrides the config variable when used.

"for more description" reads a bit weird. How about "for more details"
instead?

Patrick