Subject: color.diff.<slot> for commit headers (Author, Date, ...)

From: Alejandro Colomar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2026 19:32:37 +0100

Hi!

According to git-config(1):

     color.diff.<slot>
         Use customized color for diff colorization.  <slot> specifies
         which part of the patch to use the specified color, and is one
         of context (context text - plain is a historical synonym),
         meta (metainformation), frag (hunk header), func (function in
         hunk header), old (removed lines), new (added lines), commit
         (commit headers), whitespace (highlighting whitespace errors),
         oldMoved (deleted lines), newMoved (added lines),
         oldMovedDimmed, oldMovedAlternative,
         oldMovedAlternativeDimmed, newMovedDimmed, newMovedAlternative
         newMovedAlternativeDimmed (See the <mode> setting of
         --color-moved in git‐diff(1) for details), contextDimmed,
         oldDimmed, newDimmed, contextBold, oldBold, and newBold (see
         git‐range‐diff(1) for details).

color.diff.commit (commit headers) would seem to be the slot for
coloring Author, Date, etc.  However, that colors the commit hash
exclusively.

The documentation should be updated to reflect reality.  Maybe

	s/headers/hash/

Also, I'm interested in coloring the actual header fields; that is
Author, Date, etc.  I think a good name for that slot could be
'header'.  Would you mind adding that?

Have a lovely day!
Alex

-- 
<https://www.alejandro-colomar.es>