Subject: Re: [PATCH 7/9] list-objects-filter-options: implement auto filter resolution

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2026 12:48:16 +0100

On Wed, Feb 04, 2026 at 11:29:43AM +0100, Christian Couder wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 7, 2026 at 11:05 AM Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Dec 23, 2025 at 12:11:11PM +0100, Christian Couder wrote:
> > > In a following commit, we will need to aggregate filters from multiple
> > > accepted promisor remotes into a single filter.
> >
> > Ah, interesting. I was always operating under the assumption that when
> > the server advertises multiple promisors, the client will pick only one
> > of them. And that made me wonder how the client knows which one to pick
> > in the first place.
> >
> > But of course it's possible to just pick _all_ of them by combining the
> > filter.
> 
> Yeah, that's the idea.

One thought I recently had: if one selects multiple promisor remotes,
how does the client know which promisor remote to fetch a certain object
from? We don't always have enough information about a missing object to
be able to tell which of the filters would have excluded it, so it's not
possible to basically "reverse" the filtering and deduce from them which
remote should have them.

Patrick