Subject: Re: [PATCH] fsck: do not loop infinitely when processing packs

From: "brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2026 22:23:32 +0000

On 2026-02-23 at 08:43:41, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> Typically, we don't execute `find_pack_entry()` at all when verifying
> packfiles as we iterate through objects in packfile order. We thus don't
> have to look up objects via their object ID, but instead we do so by
> using their packfile offset. And this mechanism will not end up in
> `find_pack_entry()`, and thus we wouldn't update the MRU.

If you're thinking about `nth_packed_object_id`, that is index (object
ID) order, not packfile order.  I actually made this mistake when
writing the interop code and having that function operate in pack order
breaks a surprising number of things in very subtle ways, notably
generating multi-pack indexes.

I will be sending a patch in the future documenting that requirement
clearly.

> I've got a couple patches in the making that'll fix this.

I'm happy to drop this patch in favour of yours.  Thanks for a quick
response.
-- 
brian m. carlson (they/them)
Toronto, Ontario, CA