Subject: --no-decorate and %d in git-log(1)

From: Alejandro Colomar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2026 18:55:26 +0100

Hi!

I use a custom alias that is very similar to
	git log --oneline

The reason is that the command above doesn't show the signatures on
commits, and if I were to show it (--show-signature) that would take too
much space (I really want --oneline).  So I use the following format:
	--format=tformat:'%C(magenta)%G?%C(reset) %C(auto)%h%d%C(reset) %C(auto)%s%C(reset)'

which imitates --oneline, except for the %G? at the beginning of the
format.

A problem with it is that '%d' is unconditional.  I'd like to be able to
use --no-decorate to turn it off.  This would be consistent with %h
being affected by core.abbrev, and %cd and %ad being affected by
log.date.

Would you mind changing %d to be affected by --decorate=?

Have a lovely day!
Alex

-- 
<https://www.alejandro-colomar.es>