Subject: Re: [PATCH] doc: fetch: document `--jobs=0` behavior

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2026 12:39:27 +0100

On Wed, Feb 18, 2026 at 07:32:39PM +0000, Daniel D. Beck via GitGitGadget wrote:
> diff --git a/Documentation/fetch-options.adoc b/Documentation/fetch-options.adoc
> index fcba46ee9e..e15cbc51f2 100644
> --- a/Documentation/fetch-options.adoc
> +++ b/Documentation/fetch-options.adoc
> @@ -234,6 +234,8 @@ endif::git-pull[]
>  `--jobs=<n>`::
>  	Parallelize all forms of fetching up to _<n>_ jobs at a time.
>  +
> +A value of 0 will use some reasonable default.

Can't we do better though than saying "some reasonable default"? As a
user I would wonder what this is even supposed to mean. True, we don't
do so either in the documentation of "fetch.parallel". But arguably, we
should update both sites to reflect the status quo.

Going into the code we seem to fall back to `online_cpus()`. So should
we document this accordingly?

Thanks!

Patrick