Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/3] repo: extend info paths and structure statistics

From: Justin Tobler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2026 21:02:09 -0600

On 26/02/22 06:28PM, eslam-reda-div via GitGitGadget wrote:
> From: eslam-reda-div <[email-masked]>
> 
> Improve git repo info by adding path-oriented keys that match values
> users currently obtain from git rev-parse, including common directory,
> git directory, top-level, superproject working tree, and additional
> git-path based locations.
> 
> Teach git repo info to accept category keys like layout and path,
> and add --path-format=(absolute|relative) so scripts can request the
> desired path style explicitly. The command now uses repository context
> passed to the command path instead of relying on global state.
> 
> Extend git repo structure with deeper repository metrics inspired by
> git-sizer, including per-type maximum inflated and on-disk object sizes,
> maximum commit parent count, maximum tree entry count, longest/deepest
> blob path, and deepest annotated tag chain.

Hello,

Just FYI, there is already a series on the list I'm currently working on
that is extending the "structure" output for git-repo [1] similar to
what is being done here. This series collects largest inflated object
info, max commit parents, and max tree entries. It does look like this
series is collecting a couple of other data points too, but maybe we
could do so it a separate followup series to the one I'm working on? :)

Thanks,
-Justin

[1]: https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/