Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/3] doc: interpret-trailers: convert to synopsis style

From: "Kristoffer Haugsbakk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2026 17:43:38 +0100

On Thu, Mar 12, 2026, at 02:38, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> [email-masked] writes:
>
>> ...s. The only thing is that `": "` is
>> used instead of `': '` ...
>
> The description says that a pair of dqs inside `verbatim` replaces a
> pair of sqs inside `verbatim` in the original.
>
> Does this refer to this change?
>
>> -This means that the trimmed <key> and <value> will be separated by
>> -`': '` (one colon followed by one space).
>> +This means that the trimmed _<key>_ and _<value>_ will be separated by
>> +": " (one colon followed by one space).
>
> We seem to have lost the `backticks` around the thing.  Intended?

Yes it is intended. It seems to be the current approach to “verbatim”
(in spirit) that ends in a space is to use "<verbatim> ".

I had this arrow from `Documentation/pretty-formats.adoc` in the back of
my mind when editing this part:[1]

    `pointer=<value>`;; Shown between HEAD and the branch it points to, if any.
                  Defaults to "{nbsp}->{nbsp}".

So (finally looking back at this) maybe I need to use the no-break space
expression here.

† 1: This part was recently changed although this `{nbsp}->{nbsp}` part
     did not change: a34d1d53 (doc: convert git-show to synopsis style,
     2026-02-06)

> Does the thing still typeset as verbatim in the manpages?

No. It’s just regular text.

For that matter: my setup (perhaps flawed[2]) also renders ': ' in the
preimage as regular text in the HTML output.

🔗 2: https://lore.kernel.org/git/9570525.CDJkKcVGEf@piment-oiseau/