Subject: Re: Option for "git submodule foreach" to also run on the parent git?

From: "brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2026 21:03:06 +0000

On 2026-03-09 at 19:30:01, Jeff King wrote:
> These days we also have git-for-each-repo. It is primarily about running
> a command in a set of otherwise unrelated repos. But I wonder if:
> 
>   git for-each-repo --submodules do-this
> 
> would be a natural fit as an alternative to "git submodule foreach"? And
> then you can imagine a "--current" option to discover the current repo
> and include it in the list. And then:
> 
>   git for-each-repo --submodules --current do-this
> 
> would do what you want.
> 
> I dunno. I do not have any need for this myself, but just thinking out
> loud.

I think this would be quite useful especially if it could operate on
submodules before the parent repository.  My particular use case is with
the SHA-256/SHA-1 interoperability work, since that would allow people
to recursively convert submodules into interoperability mode and then
the main repository (which needs the submodule mappings first).  This
seems like a thing others will want to do as well.

So while I'm not planning to work on this myself, I think this would be
a fantastic feature to add.
-- 
brian m. carlson (they/them)
Toronto, Ontario, CA