Subject: Re: [GSOC][PATCH 1/2] editor: make editor_program local to editor.c

From: Burak Kaan Karaçay <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2026 16:19:02 +0300

Hi Shreyansh,

I am a GSoC applicant like you. I just wanted to leave my two cents 
here.

On Sun, Mar 01, 2026 at 04:12:58PM +0530, Shreyansh Paliwal wrote:
>+static char *editor_program;
>+
>+int set_editor_program(const char *var, const char *value)
>+{
>+	FREE_AND_NULL(editor_program);
>+	return git_config_string(&editor_program, var, value);
>+}
>+

While moving the global variable from 'environment.c' to 'editor.c'
doesn't cause any behavior change, it still relies on global state.

I think passing a 'struct repository' and using the 'repo_config_get*'
helpers here might be a more robust approach. I know this means we would
catch config errors later (right before the editor start up). However,
since it doesn't seem like it would cause a data loss or serious issues,
this behavioral change feels like a reasonable trade-off.

Thanks again for the patches!

Best,
Burak Kaan Karaçay