Subject: Re: [PATCH] Documentation: extend guidance for submitting patches

From: Justin Tobler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2026 19:48:49 -0600

On 26/03/05 11:27PM, Kristoffer Haugsbakk wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 5, 2026, at 20:38, Justin Tobler wrote:
> > +It is also a good idea to check whether your topic has been discussed
> > +previously on the mailing list,
> 
> This is at the start of the document. “The mailing list” footnote
> (git-ml) does not get mentioned until line 535.
> 
> Although there is the initial mention of `MyFirstContribution` which
> prominently features the address at the start.

We also mention "the list" several times in the surround bullet points
prior to the footnote too. If we think it matters I can move the
footnote up.

> > or whether similar work is already in
> > +progress.  Prior discussions may contain useful context, design
> > +considerations, or earlier attempts at solving the same problem. Being
> > +aware of such discussions can help you avoid duplicating work and may
> > +allow you to coordinate with other contributors working in the same
> > +area.
> > +
> 
> This seems useful to cite. It seems less useful for people who go to the
> effort of reading this file themselves. They presumably care enough to
> try to get the procedural steps correct. It’s difficult to imagine that
> they either think that their idea has to be unique or that there isn’t a
> history.

Ya, I agree that most folks who feel inclined to read this document
proactively would likely also lookup previous/on-going mailing list
discussions. I do think this would be useful though to include so we can
point contributors this direction when needed.

Thanks,
-Justin