Subject: Re: Test "t0300-credentials" is failing on Arch/Artix: asks to enter the Username/Password in an infinite loop

From: "brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2026 21:17:25 +0000

On 2026-03-06 at 17:36:35, Ivan Ivanov wrote:
> Sounds reasonable, but - if there is only an issue with askpass and
> everything else is fine, couldn't we just execute askpass from its
> origin - instead of copying it to the destination ./git-test/
> directory?

We actually do generate and run quite a few scripts in the testsuite
(`git grep write_script`).  All of these will be generated in the trash
directory we create for each test and some of them contain dynamic
components that cannot be generated before the testsuite is run.

It may be, for whatever reason, that only those tests happen to
malfunction in this case, but we're not willing to do the testing and
maintenance required to guarantee that the testsuite works in a noexec
environment.  There are some cases where we accept patches to deal with
uncommon cases (for instance, I send in patches to fix the testsuite
with zsh in sh mode from time to time), but I think this is a case where
we fully expect things to be very broken (at least I do) and the amount
of effort required to fix it would be substantial.

I am sympathetic to the downsides of noexec temporary directories
because I've worked on systems where `/tmp` was noexec, but we assume
that most people on Unix systems have at least a home directory where
they can execute things (if for no other reason than the customary
`~/bin` directory).
-- 
brian m. carlson (they/them)
Toronto, Ontario, CA