Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Mar 2026, #05)

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2026 18:07:41 -0400

On Thu, Mar 12, 2026 at 05:10:31PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> * tb/incremental-midx-part-3.2 (2026-02-24) 17 commits
>  - midx: enable reachability bitmaps during MIDX compaction
>  - midx: implement MIDX compaction
>  - t/helper/test-read-midx.c: plug memory leak when selecting layer
>  - midx-write.c: factor fanout layering from `compute_sorted_entries()`
>  - midx-write.c: enumerate `pack_int_id` values directly
>  - midx-write.c: extract `fill_pack_from_midx()`
>  - midx-write.c: introduce `midx_pack_perm()` helper
>  - midx: do not require packs to be sorted in lexicographic order
>  - midx-write.c: introduce `struct write_midx_opts`
>  - midx-write.c: don't use `pack_perm` when assigning `bitmap_pos`
>  - t/t5319-multi-pack-index.sh: fix copy-and-paste error in t5319.39
>  - git-multi-pack-index(1): align SYNOPSIS with 'git multi-pack-index -h'
>  - git-multi-pack-index(1): remove non-existent incompatibility
>  - builtin/multi-pack-index.c: make '--progress' a common option
>  - midx: introduce `midx_get_checksum_hex()`
>  - midx: rename `get_midx_checksum()` to `midx_get_checksum_hash()`
>  - midx: mark `get_midx_checksum()` arguments as const
>
>  Further work on incremental repacking using MIDX/bitmap
>
>  Will merge to 'next'?
>  source: <[email-masked]>

I think that this one is ready to go. There was a relatively small
range-diff between v2 and v3 based on Peff's review of the earlier
round.

That review[1] said that:

    There were a couple minor issues brought up in review, like
    out-dated comments and the u32_add interface. So I think we might
    need a v3 with a few touch-ups, but that's it.

, so I think with the latest round we should be OK to start merging this
one down.

Thanks,
Taylor

[1]: https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/