Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 0/8] improve "git format-patch --commit-list-format"

From: Mirko Faina <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2026 18:15:42 +0100

On Thu, Mar 26, 2026 at 12:34:00PM -0400, D. Ben Knoble wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2026 at 1:32 PM Mirko Faina <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > Not much has changed, just applied the suggestions Kristoffer made.
> > Thank you again for the review
> >
> > [1/8] pretty.c: better die message %(count) and %(total) (Mirko Faina)
> > [2/8] format-patch: refactor generate_commit_list_cover (Mirko Faina)
> > [3/8] format-patch: rename --cover-letter-format option (Mirko Faina)
> > [4/8] docs/pretty-formats: add %(count) and %(total) (Mirko Faina)
> > [5/8] format.commitListFormat: strip meaning from empty (Mirko Faina)
> > [6/8] format-patch: wrap generate_commit_list_cover() (Mirko Faina)
> > [7/8] format-patch: add preset for --commit-list-format (Mirko Faina)
> > [8/8] format-patch: --commit-list-format without prefix (Mirko Faina)
> 
> I've just noticed:
> - we don't specify the default value in git-format-patch(1), so I have
> to jump from there to git-config(1) to look it up
> - we don't specify what the "modern" format means
> 
> Maybe that was all hashed out already, in which case links appreciated :)

No, you're right. It doesn't say what the default is in
--commit-list-format, it just says that it defaults to
format.commitListFormat if not given.

I will send a patch to fix the docs. I guess I should also change the
text for --cover-letter as the commit list can now be something other
than a shortlog.

Thank you for pointing out.