Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 0/8] improve "git format-patch --commit-list-format"

From: Mirko Faina <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2026 02:13:05 +0100

On Thu, Mar 26, 2026 at 09:37:17AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Yup, I tried "modern" and generally liked it very much.
> 
> The appearance of the list looked a bit odd that each element in a
> list of things with heading was shown without any indentation before
> the heading, though.  I'd probably use
> 
>     --commit-list-format=" %(count): %<(72,trunc)%s"
> 
> or something like that myself.
> 
> I seem to be getting spurious blank lines between the lines with the
> above, when I lengthen and shorten 72 in the format string above,
> though.  I haven't figured out what is broken, though.

Could this be because of strbuf_add_wrapped_text()? In a previous review
someone pointed out that there was no wrapping, so now each entry goes
through a pass of strbuf_add_wrapped_text() which should wrap when the
line gets longer than MAIL_DEFAULT_WRAP (72 characters). Since you
guarantee at most 72 chars for %s, if it ever gets to that the line
would be at least 76 chars long due to " n: ".