Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/5] Optimization batch 13: partial clone optimizations for merge-ort

From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 13:54:34 -0400

On 6/15/2021 6:41 PM, Elijah Newren via GitGitGadget wrote:
> This series optimizes blob downloading in merges for partial clones. It can
> apply on master. It's independent of ort-perf-batch-12.
> 
> Changes since v1:
> 
>  * Incorporated the suggestions from Stolee on patch 2.

Thank you for these.

>      -+		 ..........fetch_count:12
>      -+		 ..........fetch_count:5
>      -+		 ..........fetch_count:3
>      -+		 ......fetch_count:2
>      ++		fetch_count:12
>      ++		fetch_count:5
>      ++		fetch_count:3
>      ++		fetch_count:2

In particular, I think this simplification will pay dividends in the
future.

Also, I am in full support of the goals of this series. With such
changes, we could potentially re-enable merge.renames in Scalar and
VFS for Git. Currently, we avoid this so we don't download a huge
list of missing blobs whenever pulling the latest changes in these
enormous repos.

I am still late in doing more meaningful testing which would allow me
to give this a full stamp of approval. Specifically, I want to merge
this code and the rest of merge-ort into the vfs-2.32.0 branch of
microsoft/git and run some sample merges on some private monorepos
and see how it behaves. I'm very eager to include merge-ort as a
recommended config in Scalar, but I haven't had the time to devote
to testing like this.

I just created a calendar event for Tuesday, June 22nd to hopefully
devote the entire day to such an effort. Thank you for your
patience.

Thanks,
-Stolee