Subject: [PATCH v2 1/3] t5317: stop losing return codes of git ls-files

From: René Scharfe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 11:06:05 +0100

fb2d0db502 (test-lib-functions: add parsing helpers for ls-files and
ls-tree, 2022-04-04) not only started to use helper functions, it also
started to pipe the output of git ls-files into them directly, without
using a temporary file.  No explanation was given.  This causes the
return code of that git command to be ignored.

Revert that part of the change, use temporary files and check the return
code of git ls-files again.

Suggested-by: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: René Scharfe <[email-masked]>
---
 t/t5317-pack-objects-filter-objects.sh | 52 ++++++++++++++------------
 1 file changed, 28 insertions(+), 24 deletions(-)

diff --git a/t/t5317-pack-objects-filter-objects.sh b/t/t5317-pack-objects-filter-objects.sh
index bb633c9b09..82a22ecaa5 100755
--- a/t/t5317-pack-objects-filter-objects.sh
+++ b/t/t5317-pack-objects-filter-objects.sh
@@ -24,8 +24,9 @@ parse_verify_pack_blob_oid () {
 }

 test_expect_success 'verify blob count in normal packfile' '
-	git -C r1 ls-files -s file.1 file.2 file.3 file.4 file.5 |
-	test_parse_ls_files_stage_oids |
+	git -C r1 ls-files -s file.1 file.2 file.3 file.4 file.5 \
+		>ls_files_result &&
+	test_parse_ls_files_stage_oids <ls_files_result |
 	sort >expected &&

 	git -C r1 pack-objects --revs --stdout >all.pack <<-EOF &&
@@ -123,8 +124,8 @@ test_expect_success 'setup r2' '
 '

 test_expect_success 'verify blob count in normal packfile' '
-	git -C r2 ls-files -s large.1000 large.10000 |
-	test_parse_ls_files_stage_oids |
+	git -C r2 ls-files -s large.1000 large.10000 >ls_files_result &&
+	test_parse_ls_files_stage_oids <ls_files_result |
 	sort >expected &&

 	git -C r2 pack-objects --revs --stdout >all.pack <<-EOF &&
@@ -161,8 +162,8 @@ test_expect_success 'verify blob:limit=1000' '
 '

 test_expect_success 'verify blob:limit=1001' '
-	git -C r2 ls-files -s large.1000 |
-	test_parse_ls_files_stage_oids |
+	git -C r2 ls-files -s large.1000 >ls_files_result &&
+	test_parse_ls_files_stage_oids <ls_files_result |
 	sort >expected &&

 	git -C r2 pack-objects --revs --stdout --filter=blob:limit=1001 >filter.pack <<-EOF &&
@@ -179,8 +180,8 @@ test_expect_success 'verify blob:limit=1001' '
 '

 test_expect_success 'verify blob:limit=10001' '
-	git -C r2 ls-files -s large.1000 large.10000 |
-	test_parse_ls_files_stage_oids |
+	git -C r2 ls-files -s large.1000 large.10000 >ls_files_result &&
+	test_parse_ls_files_stage_oids <ls_files_result |
 	sort >expected &&

 	git -C r2 pack-objects --revs --stdout --filter=blob:limit=10001 >filter.pack <<-EOF &&
@@ -197,8 +198,8 @@ test_expect_success 'verify blob:limit=10001' '
 '

 test_expect_success 'verify blob:limit=1k' '
-	git -C r2 ls-files -s large.1000 |
-	test_parse_ls_files_stage_oids |
+	git -C r2 ls-files -s large.1000 >ls_files_result &&
+	test_parse_ls_files_stage_oids <ls_files_result |
 	sort >expected &&

 	git -C r2 pack-objects --revs --stdout --filter=blob:limit=1k >filter.pack <<-EOF &&
@@ -215,8 +216,8 @@ test_expect_success 'verify blob:limit=1k' '
 '

 test_expect_success 'verify explicitly specifying oversized blob in input' '
-	git -C r2 ls-files -s large.1000 large.10000 |
-	test_parse_ls_files_stage_oids |
+	git -C r2 ls-files -s large.1000 large.10000 >ls_files_result &&
+	test_parse_ls_files_stage_oids <ls_files_result |
 	sort >expected &&

 	echo HEAD >objects &&
@@ -233,8 +234,8 @@ test_expect_success 'verify explicitly specifying oversized blob in input' '
 '

 test_expect_success 'verify blob:limit=1m' '
-	git -C r2 ls-files -s large.1000 large.10000 |
-	test_parse_ls_files_stage_oids |
+	git -C r2 ls-files -s large.1000 large.10000 >ls_files_result &&
+	test_parse_ls_files_stage_oids <ls_files_result |
 	sort >expected &&

 	git -C r2 pack-objects --revs --stdout --filter=blob:limit=1m >filter.pack <<-EOF &&
@@ -289,8 +290,9 @@ test_expect_success 'setup r3' '
 '

 test_expect_success 'verify blob count in normal packfile' '
-	git -C r3 ls-files -s sparse1 sparse2 dir1/sparse1 dir1/sparse2 |
-	test_parse_ls_files_stage_oids |
+	git -C r3 ls-files -s sparse1 sparse2 dir1/sparse1 dir1/sparse2 \
+		>ls_files_result &&
+	test_parse_ls_files_stage_oids <ls_files_result |
 	sort >expected &&

 	git -C r3 pack-objects --revs --stdout >all.pack <<-EOF &&
@@ -341,8 +343,9 @@ test_expect_success 'setup r4' '
 '

 test_expect_success 'verify blob count in normal packfile' '
-	git -C r4 ls-files -s pattern sparse1 sparse2 dir1/sparse1 dir1/sparse2 |
-	test_parse_ls_files_stage_oids |
+	git -C r4 ls-files -s pattern sparse1 sparse2 dir1/sparse1 dir1/sparse2 \
+		>ls_files_result &&
+	test_parse_ls_files_stage_oids <ls_files_result |
 	sort >expected &&

 	git -C r4 pack-objects --revs --stdout >all.pack <<-EOF &&
@@ -359,8 +362,8 @@ test_expect_success 'verify blob count in normal packfile' '
 '

 test_expect_success 'verify sparse:oid=OID' '
-	git -C r4 ls-files -s dir1/sparse1 dir1/sparse2 |
-	test_parse_ls_files_stage_oids |
+	git -C r4 ls-files -s dir1/sparse1 dir1/sparse2 >ls_files_result &&
+	test_parse_ls_files_stage_oids <ls_files_result |
 	sort >expected &&

 	git -C r4 ls-files -s pattern >staged &&
@@ -379,8 +382,8 @@ test_expect_success 'verify sparse:oid=OID' '
 '

 test_expect_success 'verify sparse:oid=oid-ish' '
-	git -C r4 ls-files -s dir1/sparse1 dir1/sparse2 |
-	test_parse_ls_files_stage_oids |
+	git -C r4 ls-files -s dir1/sparse1 dir1/sparse2 >ls_files_result &&
+	test_parse_ls_files_stage_oids <ls_files_result |
 	sort >expected &&

 	git -C r4 pack-objects --revs --stdout --filter=sparse:oid=main:pattern >filter.pack <<-EOF &&
@@ -400,8 +403,9 @@ test_expect_success 'verify sparse:oid=oid-ish' '
 # This models previously omitted objects that we did not receive.

 test_expect_success 'setup r1 - delete loose blobs' '
-	git -C r1 ls-files -s file.1 file.2 file.3 file.4 file.5 |
-	test_parse_ls_files_stage_oids |
+	git -C r1 ls-files -s file.1 file.2 file.3 file.4 file.5 \
+		>ls_files_result &&
+	test_parse_ls_files_stage_oids <ls_files_result |
 	sort >expected &&

 	for id in `cat expected | sed "s|..|&/|"`
--
2.38.1