Subject: Re: [PATCH] headers: Preserve 'change-id' header in rebase / cherry-pick.

From: Nico Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2026 10:52:39 -0500

On Tue, Apr 07, 2026 at 10:55:00AM +0100, Phillip Wood wrote:
> On 07/04/2026 05:58, Nico Williams wrote:
> > 
> > Maybe that's the trick: local configuration for determining the
> > copy-or-drop semantic for different operations, and maybe hooks for
> > altering when copying.
> 
> I think the danger with making it configurable is that you cannot rely on
> the semantics because they vary between commits created by different
> authors. [...]

Well, I said "site-local" and "for some definition of site", and the one
I had in mind is that the upstream provides this [default] configuration
for clones.  Sure, authors could override this locally, but presumably
they wouldn't, and presumably upstreams would check for adherence to
their rules.

>   [...]. If we could get agreement on

That's proven difficult to do.

Nico
--