Subject: Re: [PATCH] object-file: avoid ODB transaction when not writing objects

From: Justin Tobler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2026 17:08:54 -0500

On 26/04/07 02:53PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > I'd appreciate it if you can give your eyeballs to the attached to
> > see if that is how you would fixed the bug in the original context
> > of v2.52 track.  If everything looks OK, then there is no need to
> > spend time backporting on your side.  We have everything necessary.
> 
> Another thing.  Your jt/odb-transaction-write topic (in 'seen')
> already addresses this issue, so we may merge this single patch down
> to 'next' and 'master' first, but the merge that brings in the topic
> can just supersede this patch, perhaps keeping the test added to
> t1517.

That would work :)

> Do I understand correctly?  The t1517 part of the patch, when
> applied to 'seen', does indicate that the problem is not there.

Yes, that is correct. The jt/odb-transaction-write topic indeed already
fixes this issue. The patch here is just a slimmed down version of a
patch from that series.

I can also send a follow up version for the topic built on top of this
patch if that would be preferred. Otherwise, replacing the patch with
the original topic and keeping the test as you suggested would work just
fine.

Thanks,
-Justin