Subject: Re: [PATCH] bundle-uri: drain remaining response on invalid bundle-uri lines

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2026 08:31:40 +0200

On Wed, Apr 08, 2026 at 12:49:48PM -0500, Justin Tobler wrote:
> On 26/04/08 10:58AM, Toon Claes wrote:
> > Because bundle-URIs are optional by design, I believe the changes in
> > this series are sufficient. Also, the series [2] takes a similar
> > approach: have the client gracefully continue in case of misconfigured
> > bundles.
> 
> I'm still largely of the opinion that a server-side fix should be
> implemented first. Unless we really don't care that a server may
> advertise invalid bundle-uri info to a client, making the client ignore
> the error doesn't address the root of the problem. I don't see a good
> reason why we would want servers to keep doing this anyways.
> 
> To be clear, I'm not against also making the client more resilient since
> a "fixed" client may still try to talk to an older server that still
> misbehaves though.

I think that addressing the client-side is a good first step, as we need
to also be mindful that Git is not the only implementation used on the
server side. So even if we fixed Git itself to not report garbage bundle
URIs, other servers still very much might. So ensuring that clients can
handle these gracefully is a good thing to do.

That being said, I also think that we should fix the server side.
Whether that needs to be part of this patch series though is a different
question. Based on the proposed patch you posted it seems to be trivial
enough though, so maybe it's worth it to just add that in as a second
patch.

Patrick