Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/4] Enable Rust by default

From: "brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2026 22:35:18 +0000

> Huh?  I actually was hoping that we would tag 2.95 when everybody
> feels that 3.0 is on the horizon, and if we are lucky jump directly
> to 3.0 (while leaving us room to issue 4 extra 2.XX releases if the
> timeline turns out to be too aggressve after we got such an
> agreement and 2.95 turns out to be premature).
> 
> You are saying that we'd skip 2.56 and jump directly to 3.0 at the
> end of September?  I do not recall seeing any discussion, let alone
> a concensus (rough or not) with such a short timeframe.

What I recall having seen suggested on the list is that we were thinking
one of the 2.5x releases would be the last release before 3.0 (I think
maybe somewhere in the Rust discussion), but I don't think we actually
discussed it in any detail.  We did definitely discuss the 1–2 year
timeframe at the September 2024 Berlin Contributor Summit, though, which
has been my guide for getting things ready for Git 3.0.

I think your proposal here sounds more sensible, though, and possibly
nicer for downstreams since 2.95 reads more like "getting ready for 3.0"
than 2.55.

Anyway, we should probably start a separate thread to discuss plans for
the 3.0 release and what we think is missing for that.  That would be
more discoverable than hiding it here.
-- 
brian m. carlson (they/them)
Toronto, Ontario, CA