Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/4] Enable Rust by default

From: "brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2026 20:04:01 +0000

On 2026-04-10 at 13:02:13, Derrick Stolee wrote:
> I'm glad you're remembering to help us follow through on this promise.
> 
> However, I'm worried that we shouldn't do this change during the rc
> window for 2.54.0. Perhaps we could get a small patch that updates the
> docs to say "we really mean 2.55.0" that lands in the 2.54.0 release,
> and then we merge the requirements for the build in the first batch
> after the release.
>
> This would give us a full release cycle to simmer with the requirement
> instead of slipping it in for the last rc.

This was actually sent out just before rc0, but Patrick requested some
changes in v1.  (I forgot to thread it to the previous version,
unfortunately.)  I would like to have it in 2.54 if we can because I
suspect 2.55 will be the last release before 3.0, so that doesn't give
much time for people to update and adjust if there are problems.
-- 
brian m. carlson (they/them)
Toronto, Ontario, CA