Subject: Re: [PATCH RFC 2/2] Move libgit.a sources into separate "lib/" directory

From: "brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2026 19:18:28 +0000

On 2026-04-16 at 13:24:31, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> Introduce a new "lib/" directory and move all of our sources for
> "libgit.a" into it to fix these issues. It makes the split we have
> evident and reduces the number of files in our top-level tree from 550
> files to ~80 files.
> 
> This is still a lot of files, but it's significantly easier to navigate
> already. Furthermore, we can further iterate after this step and think
> about introducing a better structure for remaining files, as well.

I have not reviewed the details of the patch in general, but I think
this is generally a good idea.  Most projects in non-C languages put
files into some sort of directory structure which seems to help
organization and discovery, so I think this would be useful here as
well.

I'm also fine starting here and evolving our directory layout later on
to make things even easier to find.  I suspect upcoming Rust code, which
has a more rigid structure, will influence some of our C layout as well.
-- 
brian m. carlson (they/them)
Toronto, Ontario, CA