Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 12/12] t: detect errors outside of test cases

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2026 08:11:02 +0200

On Sat, Apr 18, 2026 at 05:05:18PM -0400, Jeff King wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 18, 2026 at 12:24:53PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> 
> > We could forget about "we know this is a good shell by its name and
> > version" and test the feature we depend on ourselves, perhaps?
> 
> I looked into that but didn't get anywhere useful. You can try to test
> all of the "set -e" scenarios we care about, but there are a lot of
> them. For example, I would never have thought to check how "command"
> behaves inside a &&-chain while "set -e" is in effect.
> 
> So you basically end up adding a test case for the bugs you find, at
> which point it is not much better than blocking known-bad versions.

Yeah, agreed. If it was only one or two cases I'd definitely agree with
Junio. But I have a feeling that every shell will behave slightly
different here, and there's even differences between versions of the
same shell.

I'll go with Peff's proposal to have an explicit opt-in, thanks!

Patrick