Subject: Re: [PATCH] mingw: stop using nedmalloc

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2026 08:09:33 +0200

On Sun, May 03, 2026 at 12:29:52PM +0000, Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget wrote:
> From: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>
> Rather than patch the unmaintained vendored sources to silence the
> warning, stop opting into nedmalloc altogether on MINGW. The platform
> allocator is what every non-MINGW build already uses, and a fresh
> build of git.git's master against a minimal Git for Windows SDK
> upgraded to GCC 16, with `USE_NED_ALLOCATOR` removed from the MINGW
> section, completes successfully.
> 
> The compat/nedmalloc/ subtree itself is left in place to keep this
> change minimal; nothing in the build links against it any longer, so
> it can be removed in a follow-up if desired.

I guess this is fair as an intermediate step. But seeing that this
removes the last user per our "config.mak.uname" I do wonder whether we
want to maybe drop nedmalloc completely. Not necessarily in this patch,
but maybe in a subsequent step?

Thanks!

Patrick