Subject: Re: [PATCH] log: let --follow follow renames in merge commits

From: Miklos Vajna <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2026 15:28:11 +0200

Hi Elijah, Jeff,

On Tue, May 19, 2026 at 03:37:54PM +0900, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > :-) Should I just wait more or should I resend this?
> 
> Rather, ask other reviewers

I did a small improvement to how 'git log --follow' works, as in if the
rename happens inside the merge commit itself, then the rename was
detected "vs the first parent", but it wasn't detected "vs other
parents", which is painful with a "subtree" merge commit.

I'm not sure if it adds value, but I can append a one-paragraph summary
of Junio's comment in this thread to the end the commit message, to be
more explicit that the inherent limitation of the current log follow
design (single path, once a rename is detected, we only care about the
new path) is not changed with the patch, this is just a fix patch so
'git log' works better, similar to how 'git blame' already does.

May I ask you to review the patch?

Thanks,

Miklos