Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 07/12] path-walk: support blob size limit filter

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2026 21:33:33 -0400

On Mon, May 11, 2026 at 06:13:04PM +0000, Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget wrote:
> [...] Blobs whose size cannot be determined (e.g. missing in a partial
> clone) are conservatively included, matching the existing filter
> behavior.

Makes sense, but...

> Notice that this inspection of object sizes requires the content to be
> present in the repository. The odb_read_object_info() call will download
> a missing blob on-demand.

... this says that we do download missing blobs on-demand. Should we be
(temporarily) disabling 'fetch_if_missing' for this phase, or using
odb_read_object_info_extended() with the OBJECT_INFO_SKIP_FETCH_OBJECT
bit set?

I don't know enough about 'git backfill' to know whether the current
behavior is more reasonable than the above suggestion, so please let me
know if I'm missing something here!

The rest looks good to me.

Thanks,
Taylor