Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 1/2] builtin/maintenance: fix locking with "--detach"

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2026 20:10:26 -0400

On Wed, May 13, 2026 at 07:06:27PM +0900, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > Note that this is a broader fix, as we now always reassign tempfiles
> > when daemonizing. This is a natural consequence of the semantics of
> > `daemonize()` though, as it essentially promises to continue running the
> > current process in the background.
>
> Exactly.  I do agree that it is the right wy to look at it.  The
> process that daemonise creates and leaves in the background is
> logically the process that continues to execute the service the
> process the user started, and unless the original process explicitly
> says "we are done serving this thing" and cleans up tempfile or
> lockfile it needed to serve that thing, it is natural to make the
> surviving process to take over the responsibility.

Yeah, this is how I had been thinking about it as well.

Thanks, Patrick, for making the change. I think that this series is in a
good spot, though I'd like to hear from Peff who had some comments on
the second patch from the previous round.

Once this is merged, I would suggest that we consider tagging a v2.54.1
with this in it, as the failure mode is pretty significant for users who
have concurrent maintenance processes running.

Thanks,
Taylor