Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/2] commit: remove deprecated functions

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2026 07:58:02 +0200

On Fri, May 29, 2026 at 04:37:16AM -0400, Jeff King wrote:
> On Thu, May 28, 2026 at 09:00:09AM +0200, [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> > Topic summary: Remove deprecated comments that were slated for removal
> > after Git 2.53.0.
> 
> This looks obviously correct to me, but the whole topic made me wonder:
> was it worth retaining the old names and deprecating them, versus just
> removing them back then?
> 
> Topics in flight would have needed an update then, but they did
> eventually anyway. So it feels like the total amount of work done is
> larger, compared to just fixing them as the topics were merged. Either
> way the compiler tells us, and the adjustments themselves are small.
> 
> Not a huge deal either way, but just pondering for future such
> situations.

Yeah, I'm always very torn on these myself. I guess ultimately it's
always going to be dependent on the actual refactoring: the bigger the
blast radius, the more it makes sense to have a transition period so
that we don't break in-flight patch series.

Where exactly that line is is a different question of course.

Patrick