Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] Documentation/MyFirstContribution: recommend the use of b4

From: Weijie Yuan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2026 00:09:16 +0800

Hi Patrick and Junio,

Just so happens that I just submitted my first patch. At this point, I
may or should be the target audience for this document.

I personally watched Patrick's videos with Scott Chacon[1] first, and I
reviewed them many times until I could do those "manual" git operations.

> +Contributors are encouraged to use `b4`, which automates much of the
> +bookkeeping that is otherwise done by hand.

So for statement like this and with my personal experience, I would say
b4 is a more suitable option for senior contributors, as they already
know, for example, what Message-ID and range-diffs are. But apparently,
whose who use forges may not know.

Back to the patch, I think regarding b4 as a more advanced contribution
way for those who had contributed via mailing lists for more than one
time is a better expression or formulation. Here I mean "b4 prep", other
usage like "b4 mbox" and "b4 am" are of course more basic, and be
mentioned as tips when interacting with Git mailing list.

A bit too wordy, in conclusion: Suggest that new contributors master
classic git operations first. When they are familiar with those process,
b4 might be a good option.

Thanks!
--
[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjYac9SwIK0&t=1s (Part 1)