Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] b4: introduce configuration for the Git project

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2026 08:55:04 +0200

On Wed, Jun 03, 2026 at 10:12:22AM +0800, Weijie Yuan wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 02, 2026 at 08:09:55PM +0300, Tuomas Ahola wrote:
> > Huh?  Doesn't MyFirstContribution speak *against* shallow threading?
> >
> > 	        [...]  make sure to replace it with the correct Message-ID for your
> > 	**previous cover letter** - that is, if you're sending v2, use the Message-ID
> > 	from v1; if you're sending v3, use the Message-ID from v2.
> 
> I don't get it. Doesn't shallow threading means every following patches
> are replying to the cover letter? Replying to the previous one is
> --chain-reply-to, if I'm not mistaken.

Shallow threading basically means that all patches are sent as a
response to the current cover letter, and the current cover letter is
always attached to the cover letter of the _first_ version.

So this quote is definitely at odds with the configuration I have
proposed. It's actually quite surprising to me that we recommend deep
threading -- I personally find it extremely hard to navigate as the
nesting eventually gets way too deep.

You know -- I'll include a patch that changes the wording there to also
use shallow nesting, mostly to kick off a discussion and arrive at a
decision there.

Thanks!

Patrick