Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (topics)

From: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 13:55:50 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> +The 'recursive' strategy can take the following options:
> +
> +ours;;

You still have not addressed the issue that you can specify multiple 
strategies, or even a single _wrong_ one.  So:

	$ git merge -s stupid -Xours

would not fail at all, but definitely not do the right thing either (it 
disobeys a direct command of the user).

Apart from having to choose different -X option names for the different 
backends, to avoid them from clashing when you specify multiple 
strategies, you also deprive the user from being able to try the _same_ 
backend with different options.

IOW all my objections to the -X option (even that it does not fit with our 
short option parsing paradigm) still apply.

We already have the "-S" wart, let's not add to that pile.

Ciao,
Dscho