Subject: old but persistent problem: bad line length character

From: Peter Kleiweg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 18:33:07 +0200

I get this error message with git version 1.7.5.GIT: 

    fatal: protocol error: bad line length character:

Git version 1.4.4.4 works fine.

I have read this was a very old problem, and there were some 
fixes, then how come I still get this in the latest version of 
Git? All the explanations I could find about this bug don't seem 
to apply for my case. 

How do bugs in Git get solved? I can't find an issue tracker. 

Details:

$ export GIT_TRACE=1
$ export GIT_TRACE_PACKET=1
$ git push 
trace: built-in: git 'push'
trace: run_command: 'ssh' 'github' 'git-receive-pack '\''pebbe/Gabmap.git'\''' 
fatal: protocol error: bad line length character:

The output above comes immediately. When I run the ssh command 
listed above, it takes time before I get a response. So even if 
Git does run the command, it doesn't wait for a response from 
the server.

Setting GIT_TRACE_PACKET doesn't seem to have any effect. 

I added some debug code in pkt-line.c, function 
packet_read_line(). This tells me that 'buffer' that is passed 
to packet_read_line() contains nothing but null characters, 
while 'size' is set to 1000.

Running the ssh command as listed by trace works fine:

$ ssh github git-receive-pack 'pebbe/Gabmap.git'
00720444852406fd34c3eb0c8cdcb05cd2af979d2b34 refs/heads/master report-status delete-refs side-band-64k ofs-delta
0000

-- 
Peter Kleiweg
http://pkleiweg.home.xs4all.nl/