Subject: Re: Git Bash Bug

From: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2017 22:33:04 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Fri, 14 Jul 2017, Paul Smith wrote:

> On Fri, 2017-07-14 at 09:59 -0500, Kavita Desai wrote:
> > What does "echo $PATH" show?
> > /c/Users/Kavita/
> 
> Well, there you go.  That's clearly wrong.
> 
> You absolutely have to have /bin and /usr/bin on your PATH,

As Kavita talks about Git Bash, it is probably Git for Windows, for which
/bin should not be in the PATH but /mingw64/bin or /mingw32/bin (depending
on the architecture).

It may be messed up by some strange setting in the User Environment. Go to
the Windows Explorer, right-click on "This PC", select "Properties", in
the newly-opened window ("Control Panel>All Control Panel Items>System"),
next to the "Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings" select "Change
settings" which brings up the "System Properties" window, in whose
"Advanced" tab is an "Environment Variables" button.

(Or hit the Windows key, type "Edit the system environment variables")

You should find the "Path" variable at least in the System variables. It
is case-insensitive, so if your User variables contain, say, an empty
value for a key "paTH", then the riddle is solved.

Ciao,
Johannes