Subject: on fedora, "man gitweb" exists but actual gitweb command is missing

From: "Robert P. J. Day" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2019 08:11:29 -0500 (EST)

not so much a git issue as what looks like a fedora packaging issue.
on my updated fedora 29 system, "man gitweb" works:

  GITWEB(1)                    Git Manual                    GITWEB(1)

  NAME
       gitweb - Git web interface (web frontend to Git repositories)

  SYNOPSIS
       To get started with gitweb, run git-instaweb(1) from a Git
       repository. This would configure and start your web server, and
       run web browser pointing to gitweb.
       ... snip ...

and the corresponding man page source file clearly belongs to the
"git" package:

  $ rpm -qf /usr/share/man/man1/gitweb.1.gz
  git-2.20.1-1.fc29.x86_64
  $

but there is no "git instaweb" command:

  $ git instaweb
  git: 'instaweb' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.
  $

it took only a few seconds to determine that fedora bundles that
functionality in two separate packages which are not dependencies of
"git": "gitweb" and "git-instaweb" (output abbreviated):

  $ sudo dnf install git-instaweb
  ...
  Installing:
   git-instaweb
  Installing dependencies:
   gitweb
   perl-CGI

and now "git-instaweb" works fine.

  the question is, is it not inconsistent for fedora's basic "git"
package to include the man page for gitweb, without including the
corresponding functionality? is this something i should submit a
fedora bugzilla report for? or am i misunderstanding something?

rday

-- 

========================================================================
Robert P. J. Day                                 Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
                  http://crashcourse.ca/dokuwiki

Twitter:                                       http://twitter.com/rpjday
LinkedIn:                               http://ca.linkedin.com/in/rpjday
========================================================================