Subject: [PATCH 4/4] doc: am: fill out hook discussion

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2026 18:34:37 +0100

From: Kristoffer Haugsbakk <[email-masked]>

Document `--verify` and rephrase the `--[no-]verify` section to lead
with the default, in imperative mood.[1]

Historically it makes sense that only the negated forms are documented;
they are all run by default and thus you only need to use hook options
if you want to turn some of them off. But, beyond just desiring uniform
documentation,[2] it’s very much possible to have, say, a Git alias with
`--no-verify` that you might sometimes want to turn back on with
the *positive* form.

Also mention the options in the “Hooks” section and mention that
`post-applypatch` cannot be skipped.

† 1: See e.g. acffc5e9 (doc: convert git-remote to synopsis style,
     2025-12-20)
† 2: https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

Signed-off-by: Kristoffer Haugsbakk <[email-masked]>
---

Notes (series):
    Does not need an update to the usage in `builtin/am.c` because it is
    excluded in `t/t0450/adoc-help-mismatches`.

 Documentation/git-am.adoc | 13 +++++++++----
 1 file changed, 9 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/git-am.adoc b/Documentation/git-am.adoc
index 5e0d6e6fe02..84ec9fee8df 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-am.adoc
+++ b/Documentation/git-am.adoc
@@ -9,7 +9,7 @@ git-am - Apply a series of patches from a mailbox
 SYNOPSIS
 --------
 [verse]
-'git am' [--signoff] [--keep] [--[no-]keep-cr] [--[no-]utf8] [--no-verify]
+'git am' [--signoff] [--keep] [--[no-]keep-cr] [--[no-]utf8] [--[no-]verify]
 	 [--[no-]3way] [--interactive] [--committer-date-is-author-date]
 	 [--ignore-date] [--ignore-space-change | --ignore-whitespace]
 	 [--whitespace=<action>] [-C<n>] [-p<n>] [--directory=<dir>]
@@ -150,11 +150,14 @@ Valid <action> for the `--whitespace` option are:
 --interactive::
 	Run interactively.
 
+--verify::
 -n::
 --no-verify::
-	By default, the pre-applypatch and applypatch-msg hooks are run.
-	When any of `--no-verify` or `-n` is given, these are bypassed.
-	See also linkgit:githooks[5].
+	Run the `pre-applypatch` and `applypatch-msg` hooks. This is the
+	default. Skip these hooks with `-n` or `--no-verify`. See also
+	linkgit:githooks[5].
++
+Note that `post-applypatch` cannot be skipped.
 
 --committer-date-is-author-date::
 	By default the command records the date from the e-mail
@@ -290,6 +293,8 @@ This command can run `applypatch-msg`, `pre-applypatch`,
 and `post-applypatch` hooks.  See linkgit:githooks[5] for more
 information.
 
+See the `--verify`/`-n`/`--no-verify` options.
+
 CONFIGURATION
 -------------
 
-- 
2.53.0.26.g2afa8602a26